Safe School and Child Centered Urban Disaster Risk Reduction (CCUDRR)
The safe school (SC) and Child Centered Urban Disaster Risk Reduction (CCUDRR) project is launched in five municipality of Kathmandu valley with the support of Plan Nepal. Each school is taken as the pilot project of safe school initiatives in each location of Kathmandu Metropolitan, Lalitpur Sub-Metropolitan, Madyapur Thimi Municipality, Kritipur Municipality. Similarly, 6 child homes and one hostel are chosen for CCUDRR follow up in Kathmandu valley and 5 schools of Safe school project in Kathmandu valley.
Schools Benefitting from Safe School Project:
1. Shree Sarswoti Lower Secondary School, Manohara,. Thimi.
2. Shree Samaj Sudhar Secondary School, Taualchhay tole, Bhaktpur.
3. Shree Bal Binod secondary School, Na tole, Lalitpur.
4. Shree Mitra lower Secondary School, Chabahil, Kathmandu.
5. Brihaspati Bidya Sadhan, Naxal, Kathmandu.
Child centered facilities benefitting from the CCUDRR Project:
1. Safalta HIV Shikshya Sadan Bhatkepati. Kirtipur Municipality.
2. Child Protection Center and Service, Chabahil -7, Kathmandu Metropolitan.
3. Bal Mandir, Naxal -1, Kathmandu.
4. Volunteer Foundation Nepal, Sanepa, Lalitpur.
5. Rehabilitation Center for Child and Orphanage, Thimi.
6. Peace Zone girls Hostel,Lalitpur Pulchowk, Lalitpur.
7. Unnati Foundation, Vyasi, Bhaktapur.
Major Works of Safe School and CCUDRR Projects:
1. Awareness raising.
2. Development of Safe School Toolkit.
3. Capacity development programs: Teacher and student focused.
4. IEC materials: Publication and promotion.
5. Formation and strengthening of student focused Child Clubs.
6. Disaster orientation, mock drills and street dramas targeting students.
7. Stationery support and publication of Wall Magazines promoting creativity and expression among children.
8. Research on "Mapping of Civil Society Organizations Working on Children, risk and resilience urban centers, 2013".
Budhokhani Multipurpose Drinking Water Supply Scheme Project
There were three major parties involved in the project- Funding Partner, Implementing Partner and the Local Group/Community/User Committee. The funding partners for the project were: Rotary Club of Kathmandu Metro, Rotary International and E Club of 2650, Japan. Similarly, the implementing partner is Environment and Child Concern Organization-Nepal (ECO-Nepal). The major local group/ community/ User Committee implementing the project were Budhokhani Drinking Water & Sanitation User Committee.
The major project features involved:
1. Construction of Budhokhani DWS scheme;
2. Household tap connection (private tap with water meter);
3. Hygiene Promotion; Irrigation pond for agriculture (kitchen gardening, vegetable farming).
Funds for the project were arranged from various sources. Rotary E-Club of 260 Japan and Rotary Club of Kathmandu Metro were the major contributor contributing 82% of the funds. Similarly, ECO-Nepal, the implementing partner contributed 13% of the total funds of the budget and the community contributed 6% of the project budget.
Working Areas and Beneficiaries:
The project location for implementing the planned WASH intervention was: Gandaki Rural Municipality-7, Gorkha District, Province No.4, Nepal. The final total beneficiaries of the project are 329 individuals from 66 HHs, and 207 students and 12 teachers from 2 schools. The project witnessed a slight change in number of beneficiaries from the initially expected population.