Vacancy - Supervisor - Earthquake Recovery Project (Nepalese nationals only)
Supervisor – Earthquake Recovery Project (Nepalese nationals only)
Location : Gorkha, Field Based, NEPAL
Type of Contract : Temporary Assignment (TA)
Post Level : Other
Starting Date : 01 Nov-2015
Duration of Initial Contract : Three Months contract with possibility of extension based on performance and budget availability.
Environment and Child Concern Organization Nepal (ECO-Nepal) is a non – governmental local organization with main office is in Kathmandu, Nepal. In its 15 years of history, was working in all over the country in the area of disaster risk reduction, capacity development, advisory role in policy making and human resource development to make the DRR resilient community. ECO-Nepal is a member of the Disaster preparedness Network Nepal (DPNET).To expand on the success of the early recovery activities (Humanitarian relief phase) in the four VDCs, ECO-Nepal is implementing its next phase project entitled “Building Disaster Resilient Community through Earthquake Recovery Program in targeted VDCs of Gorkha District in partnership with DCA/NCA (Danish Church Aid/Norwegian Church Aid).
Duties and Responsibilities
The Supervisor will work under the supervision and guidance of Project Coordinator. S/he will be the principal representative of executing and supervision of the overall activities at field level and report to the Project Coordinator. Ensures that all the activities as per the programs, and awareness are implemented effectively, professionally, and in accordance with the culture and practices of the local population. The specific responsibilities of the Supervisor will include the following;
- Work with the earthquake recovery team and ECO-Nepal staff to develop and implement community based shelter, water, sanitation and hygiene development plan in targeted DVCs and any other areas as decided by the programme and support partner organizations to implement the activities.
- Provide support to the project by maintaining a visible presence to the field performing site visits to the project sites, in coordination with the project implementation & coordination sub-committee (PICSC).
- Conduct household interviews, key informant interviews and focus groups discussions on food security and livelihoods issues under the supervision of livelihood & food security officer;
- Inform the project management team and supervision of any new or conflictive legislative matters that could impact the project.
- Plan and supervise the activities of Field staffs together with project officer;
- Ensure good understanding of project objectives by co-workers and schedule team meetings when necessary
- Update and report on a regular basis about the progress.
- Support field staff and volunteers in any activities connected to emergency programme;
- Prepare progress report, and other plans as required.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Excellent Incident Investigation skills
- Ability to perform under stressful conditions
- Probability and decision making skills
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy
Leadership and Self-Management
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent leadership and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Develops substantive knowledge of one or more Practice Areas
- Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office and field.
Required Skills and Experience
- Degree in social science/ Occupational Health and Safety Degree or Diploma or Certificate.
- At least 1 year experience in humanitarian action;
- Highly motivated and committed;
- Adequate level of understanding of participatory approaches, good social skills, good skills in listening and reporting;
- Must be willing to travel frequently and adapt to difficult working conditions;
- Proven abilities in writing and speaking in English and Nepali language;
- good computer skills in Excel/Word.