Vacancy - Livelihood and Food Security Officer
Livelihood and Food Security Officer – Earthquake recovery project (Nepalese nationals only)
Location : Gorkha, Field Based, NEPAL
Type of Contract : Temporary Assignment (TA)
Post Level : Other
Starting Date :
Duration of Initial Contract : Three Months contract with possibility of extension based on performance and budget availability.
Environment and Child Concern Organization Nepal (ECO-Nepal) is a non – governmental local organization with main office is in Kathmandu, Nepal. In its 15 years of history, was working in all over the country in the area of disaster risk reduction, capacity development, advisory role in policy making and human resource development to make the DRR resilient community. ECO-Nepal is a member of the Disaster preparedness Network Nepal (DPNET).To expand on the success of the early recovery activities (Humanitarian relief phase) in the four VDCs, ECO-Nepal is implementing its next phase project entitled “Building Disaster Resilient Community through Earthquake Recovery Program in targeted VDCs of Gorkha District in partnership with DCA/NCA (Danish Church Aid/Norwegian Church Aid).
Duties and Responsibilities
The Livelihood and Food Security Officer (LFSO) will work under the supervision and guidance of Project Coordinator. The purpose of the Livelihood and Food Security Officer is to assist in delivering life-saving programs in disasters in a holistic and sustainable way, keeping in mind how the emergency response will set the ground for transitions and development programming. The specific responsibilities of the LFSO will include the
- Develop appropriate targeting criteria and mechanisms to ensure the needs of identified vulnerable groups are met.
- Conduct initial sector-specific assessments and make technical recommendations for appropriate activities, both for initial disaster response phase, early recovery and for longer-term disaster risk reduction or rebuilding of livelihoods.
- Plan and implement food security and livelihood activities such as:
- Assessments and surveillance interventions.
- Cash based interventions.
- Food aid interventions.
- Income Generating Activities interventions.
- Ensure monitoring of food security and livelihood projects (field visit, regular program monitoring, budget forecast, staff evaluation and planning, donors reports, monthly reports, etc.)
- Organize and facilitate training sessions for technical teams and assisted communities.
- Liaise with local authorities, partner organizations, NGOs, government bodies and clusters at base level.
- Coordinate with other technical departments (nutrition, water and sanitation) and support departments (log-admin, human resources).
- Provide additional support to Project Management Unit as required.
Initiative and Problem Solving Skills
- Ability to capitalize on past experience and information available within the organization in order to become self-sufficient and autonomous quickly
- Ability to take initiative where appropriate to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work
Adaptability and flexibility
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself.
- Ability to work within a fluid situation (changes within the team, location of programs).
- Ability to live and work within a team and respect the rules of collective living.
Motivation and Involvement
- Motivation and commitment to humanitarian ideals.
- Interest in involvement beyond the job assigned, i.e. active involvement in the ethos of the organization itself.
- Ability to integrate into the local environment including awareness of political and economic aspects of the country.
- Energy and stamina to withstand long working hours and often stressful conditions.
Professionalism and Management
- Ability to conduct work in a professional and mature manner.
- Ability to manage local staff in a mature and impartial manner.
- BS in agronomy, veterinary, socio-economic, rural development, anthropology, geography, international development, etc. is required or preferably Master’s degree in relevant field.
- Open, creative, experienced, mature, responsible, flexible, culturally sensitive.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- At least three years relevant work experience essential.
- Experience in managing people essential.
Psycho-social Support Stories
Psychosocial support has been provided to vunerable people in the project VDCs of Gorkha District .